Specializing in Immigration Law

Entry and permanent residence for noncitizen spouses

Permanent Residence or Nonimmigrant Entry Options for Spouses

At the law firm of Immigration Attorney Rupal Parikh Aristimuno we advise clients about the best ways to obtain permanent resident status for a noncitizen husband, wife, fiancé or fiancée. With offices in Montclair, NJ, we work with people throughout the United States and around the world. We will fully explain the alternatives that are available in your situation and help you choose the best option.

Even a simple mistake on a visa application can significantly delay the process.
Immigration Lawyer Attorney Rupal Aristimuno

Law Offices of Immigration Lawyer Rupal Parikh Aristimuno in Montclair, New Jersey

Effective Marriage Immigration Options for Couples

If the noncitizen spouse of a U.S. citizen is currently outside of the U.S., a short path to permanent residence may be available through immigration processes. Our experienced attorneys will thoroughly review your options. Due to the unique characteristics of each option, the legal team at Immigration Attorney Rupal Parikh Aristimuno will work closely with you to help you choose the correct option for your given situation. For example, spouses living abroad have two petition options for immigration into the U.S. based on marriage:

  • Immigrant spouse (IR): Under this option, your spouse will be considered a permanent resident or a conditional permanent resident under the immediate relative (IR) category upon entering the U.S. The process for obtaining immigrant spouse status includes a visa petition, document processing and an interview at a U.S. consulate office. In most cases, this process takes six to 12 months to complete.
  • Nonimmigrant spouse (K-3 visa): Unlike the immigrant spouse option, a successful K-3 visa applicant will enter the U.S. as a nonimmigrant and then apply for permanent residence. In most situations, the K-3 option provides for faster entry into the U.S., but once you are in the country, you can expect a longer process to obtain permanent residence through an adjustment of status (AOS). The K-3 visa petition process typically takes five to eight months, with more time required after arrival to complete the adjustment of status process.

Who can help me?

“Only attorneys or accredited representatives can give you legal advice about which forms to submit, explain immigration options you may have, and communicate with USCIS about your case.” USCIS

Regardless of which option best suits your unique circumstances, you can rely on Attorney Rupal to provide you with practical and dependable advice every step of the way.

Immigration Attorney Rupal can help
with your Entry and permanent residence for noncitizen spouses.
Call 1.973.577.6564 to schedule your consultation.

Member American Immigration Lawyers Association Logo

Attorney Rupal Aristimuno
is a Member of AILA

New Jersey State Bar Association: the professional regulating body for immigration lawyers in New Jersey

Attorney Rupal Aristimuno
is a member of the New Jersey
State Bar Association